After an accident

The Emergency Service on-call executive fire officers are available 24/7.

  • West P3       tel. +358 50 433 1155
  • East P3           tel. +358 50 463 5312
  • Joki P3         tel. +358 50 431 9580

After an accident, the victim, their next-of-kin, the helpers or the eyewitnesses may be equally in need of mental support. We encourage you to seek outside help. Psychological aftercare helps with processing the reactions and pain caused by an accident, eases anxiety and prevents further stress-related symptoms.

Psychological aftercare services are available at:

  • Health centres and hospitals
  • Crisis groups and centres
  • Occupational health care
  • Social offices
  • Congregations (mental support groups, church’s on-call social work)
  • Child and family welfare clinics and family counselling centres
  • Mental health clinics
  • Victim Support Finland

If necessary, you can reach social and crisis on-call service through the Emergency Response Centre by calling 112.

National helplines

  • The Finnish Association of Mental Health crisis line, +358 1019 5202 (Mon–Fri, 9 a.m. to 6 a.m., Sat 3 p.m. to 6 a.m., Sun 3 p.m. to 10 p.m.)
  • Crisis prevention for foreigners +358 9 4135 0501 (weekdays 9–15)
  • The Church’s National support helpline Palveleva puhelin +358 1019 0071 (Sun–Thu 6 p.m. to 1 a.m., Fri–Sat 6 p.m. to 3 a.m.)
  • Victim Support Finland support helpline +358 2031 6116 (Mon-Tue 1 p.m. to 9 p.m., Wed–Fri 5 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
  • is an online crisis centre (in Finnish).

Material and psychological support

The Finnish Red Cross emergency response groups offer material and psychological support for people in Finland in the first days following accidents and other events. The groups are a part of the Voluntary Rescue Service organisation and alert system. The church social workers are also available to help those in acute need of help.

After a fire

Take care of your health. If you have breathed in combustion gases at the site of the fire and are not feeling well, consult a public health nurse or a doctor. Remember that also psychological aftercare is important after a traumatic accident.

If there has been a fire at your home or a property you own:

  • Contact the property manager/caretaker and the housing company board chairperson (e.g., matters related to property insurance).
  • If it is possible that the fire is related to criminal activity, or the resulting damage is great, notify the police and ask for a copy of the notice for the insurance company (report of an offence or a police investigation report)
  • Contact your own insurance company immediately (home insurance or fire insurance). The insurance company must complete a damage inspection before any repair work is started (do not dispose of the damaged possessions before the damage inspection). Questions regarding compensation for the damaged possessions will be agreed on dur-ing the damage inspection and the handling of claims. If the cause of the fire is not completely clear, you need to acquire permission from the police before moving your possessions from the site.
  • If you cannot spend the night at home, find temporary accommodation. You should agree on any costs resulting from the temporary accommodation in advance with your insurance company. It may not be possible to stay in the burned premises due to police investigation and possible harmful gases. Items you should take from your home include your ID card/passport, credit cards, personal medication, bank cards/security numbers, certificates and photo albums.
  • Prevent additional damage. Make sure that the premises are guarded and protected against breaking in (can be agreed with the property manager, for instance). Protect your property from vandalism, theft and getting wet.
  • Make a list of damaged or destroyed possessions as soon as possible. Movables can usually be cleansed of soot and the smell of smoke; similarly, wet property can be washed and dried using a professional service.
  • Employing companies specialising in the prevention of subsequent damage is recommended (in Finnish).

Please note that property insurance covers the damage suffered by the building’s structures. Your home or fire insurance covers your movable possessions.