CASCADE project targets the need to develop integrated risk assessment methodologies, tailor-made for the local level, and putting them into practice for more resilient societies.
CASCADE will also strive for initiating a region-wide policy dialogue on the UN Sendai Framework for Disaster Risk Reduction. The dialogue will be an effective platform for cross-sectorial cooperation between different levels of governance and for greater policy coherence on climate risk assessments.
CASCADE outputs are relevant for all Baltic Sea Region countries. They include:
- An Online Tool for integrated climate change and disaster risk reduction management.
- Development of Risk Assessment Methodology, applicable to the Baltic Sea Region climate change risks in urban contexts.
- Training courses for city officials responsible for civil protection on how to assess and manage climate change risks.
- Policy Dialogue between local, macro-regional, national, and international actors for multilevel risk governance.
- Guidelines for local level public administration on how to operationalize the proper risk treatment options.
Southwest Finland Emergency Services / City of Turku is the Lead Partner of the project and is responsible of the project management. SWFES' experts participate in different project activities such as communication, developing the Online Tool and training courses.
Duration and budget
The duration of CASCADE is from 1 January 2019 to 30 June 2021.
CASCADE is funded by DG ECHO (European Union Civil Protection and Humanitarian Aid). It is also a Flagship of the EUSBSR PA SECURE.
The budget of CASCADE is 867 029 euros from which 206 339 euros is addressed to City of Turku. Southwest Finland Emergency Services' budget is included in this amount.
Lead Partner: Southwest Finland Emergency Services / City of Turku
Council of the Baltic Sea States, Sweden
Fredriksborg Fire and Rescue Services, Denmark
Hamburg Fire and Resuce Services, Germany
Main School of Fire Service, Poland
SEI Tallinn, Estonia
Swedish Civil Contingencies Agency, Sweden
UBC Safe Cities Commission, Latvia
UBC Sustainable Cities Commission, Finland
Åbo Akademi, Finland